Posted by: Laura Hills, VP Marketing, Dydacomp
A recent 60 Minutes segment featured a rare interview with Amazon founder Jeff Bezos. In preparation for the show, 60 Minutes was granted unprecedented access inside Amazon’s operations and was able to visit one of the 1.2 million square foot seventh generation fulfillment centers (there are 96 of these worldwide) that are at the heart of Amazon’s customer-centric approach to order fulfillment.
A classic American business success story selling his first book on Amazon in 1995, Bezos shared information on the following:
- Humble Beginnings – Bezos used to drive the packages to the post office himself for shipping.
- Fulfillment Center Efficiencies – Amazon warehouses can store twice as many goods as they did five years ago. By building distribution centers close to the customers they serve, they are able to accelerate the delivery process. Their centers are automated, hi-tech marvels.
- Other Amazon Businesses – Amazon Fresh offering same-day grocery delivery; Amazon Fashion offering high-end clothing; Original television programming – its first series Alpha House was written by Doonesbury creator Garry Trudeau; and Amazon Web Services (AWS) offering cloud based data storage and website hosting for hundreds of thousands of outside companies and government agencies, including Netflix and the CIA.
- Company Philosophies – building customer trust, delivering shareholder value and always looking to increase market share and improve the customer experience.
- The Future – more distribution centers, more efficient operations and drones as delivery vehicles for the majority of Amazon orders – this is a must see!
Amazon has 225 million customers throughout the world and its self-proclaimed goal is “to sell everything to everyone,” and delivering it as quickly and efficiently as possible. For the full interview between Charlie Rose and Jeff Bezos, go to http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazons-jeff-bezos-looks-to-the-future/.
Check out the Dydacomp on-demand webinar that provides information on selling through Amazon Marketplace. It is a must watch if you are considering Amazon Marketplace or looking for a more efficient way to manage your existing Amazon Account. Click here to access this free on-demand webinar.