Posted by Fred Lizza, CEO, Dydacomp
Dydacomp’s SMB Index for October has just been published in Internet Retailer. Our index provides an indication of how small to mid-sized eCommerce companies, representing more than 15 industry verticals, perform each month.
The data accounts for more than 1.7 million orders that our Multichannel Order Manager (M.O.M.) and SiteLINK eCommerce clients receive each month, resulting in more than $200 million in combined monthly retail sales.
Below are the key takeaways from our October report:
- 12.2% is the highest monthly increase in year over year same store sales in 2012. Total number of transactions increased by 6.5% in October, reinforcing the healthy growth message.
- Growth leaders are consistent with prior month’s statistics, with books and sporting goods categories leading the way.
- Sporting Goods accelerated growth in October making it the number one vertical for the month, in terms of sales growth.
- Food & health product sales bumped up again in October after a flat September. However, the number of orders in this category declined again in October indicating growth was largely driven by price increases.
- Among other larger-volume categories, toys, which had been declining virtually every month in 2012, showed year-over-year growth as we enter the holiday shopping season. In addition, auto parts regained further growth momentum in October.
The average order size increased by over 5% in October.