Posted by Fred Lizza, CEO, Dydacomp
Our most recent Dydacomp SMB Index has been published in Internet Retailer, providing an indication of how small to mid-sized eCommerce companies, representing more than 15 industry verticals, performed in August.
The data accounts for more than 1.7 million orders that our Multichannel Order Manager (M.O.M.) and SiteLINK eCommerce clients receive each month, resulting in more than $200 million in combined monthly retail sales.
The key takeaways from our August report include:
- SMB retail activity for August 2012 was strong, with our Small merchants reporting a total of $217 million in sales, or a 6.2% increase in year-over-year sales.
- Number of orders jumped slightly, showing a 2% increase.
- Average order size increased 4% to just over $140.
- Books and publications continued their strong growth, up over 20% in August 2012 vs. August 2011.
- Sporting goods showed a 32% gain in sales, probably with some seasonal factors once again.
- Food and health products, one of the largest SMB segments, was up over 7% with a majority of the increase driven by higher order values or price.
- Clothing and apparel continued to slide, with about an 8% decrease in sales and transaction volume in August vs. the prior year, although the average order size remained steady.
- Other declining categories included toys and home furnishings.