Posted by Fred Lizza, CEO, Dydacomp
With Cyber Monday just two weeks away, online merchants are gearing up for what looks to be the most promising online shopping day in many years. Consumer confidence is increasing and our Dydacomp SMB Index shows that online sales continue to show significant growth. But many etailers are ill-prepared to take advantage of this online event. Based on our extensive experience working with small and medium-sized online merchants, we’ve developed a list of best practices that will help you drive traffic and increase sales:
- Make online coupon codes available on third-party websites that reward consumers with a discount on their entire purchase. Online shoppers are more savvy than ever before and look to coupon sites before making a purchase. By posting your discount code, you’re also receiving free advertising.
- Offer free shipping, if possible. Many consumers are coming to eCommerce sites to avoid having to drive to stores and shopping centers to make their purchases. Free shipping offer will reinforce the benefit of online shopping, as many of the larger etailers have learned. However, small businesses can’t always afford to offer free shipping. In that case, it’s best to make sure you have linked your order management and fulfillment system directly to your carrier so that you can offer the customer the lowest shipping price options during checkout.
- Utilize an online tool such as GoDataFeed.com to increase sales and visibility on online comparison shopping sites, marketplaces and affiliate networks. This provides a powerful way to attract a large number of highly motivated shoppers and increase sales.
- Incorporate a third-party service, such as buySAFE, that provides a seal of approval that verifies to the consumer that the merchant is reputable and all information shared over the site is guaranteed secure. Having this seal has resulted in a six-percent increase in conversion rates, according to buySAFE.
- Capture shopping abandonment data and run targeted campaigns using a strategic email tool, such as eWayDirect, to drive consumers back to the site to complete orders. Study shopping abandonment data on an on-going basis and continue testing to increase conversion percentages from basket to paid order.
- Run online retargeting campaigns through online ad services to make sure offers are top of mind with consumers.