As more and more business is being conducted online, retailers are looking to Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to improve organic search ranking and drive more traffic to their sites. On the most basic level, as the search engines spider sites, they seek out the density of keywords and relevant content to determine the site’s position in search listings, making it essential that retailers use all the tools at their disposal to make their sites keyword rich and therefore more visible to search engines and consumers alike.
The first step for SMBs should be to review the services available from your eCommerce provider. A solid, fully-featured eCommerce platform will have incorporated SEO functionality into the system architecture. A simple checklist for features that should be included in your ecommerce cart includes:
- XML sitemaps – A robust ecommerce platform should provide instant sitemap generation using the software protocol common to Google®, Yahoo® and Microsoft®, streamlining search engine submission to make it faster, easier and more effective
- Breadcrumb navigation – This navigation path shows the user how they arrived at the current page, gives you an additional opportunity to use keywords and makes the site more easily spidered
- URL rewrite – URLs for product and department/category pages are named based upon the product and department/category titles themselves, making those pages keyword rich and feeding relevant content to search engine spiders
- Fully Editable Meta Tags – Meta tags are another excellent source of relevant content and keywords for SEO. Your cart should feature fully editable meta tags and keywords for each product and department/category
- Customizable Page Titles – Every department/category and product page should be customizable to reflect page content and utilize keywords
- Alt and Title Tags – Two of the most important tools for improving search engine ranking, your cart should allow you to easily create alt and title tags for every image and link pulled from stock and department information. These tags allow search engines to determine the content of the images and present an important opportunity to incorporate brand/company names and keywords
The more your eCommerce platform can either do for you or simplify, the more hours you can subtract from your weekly commitment to SEO. SEO is a significant time commitment but an important one that should be considered an investment in the health of your business. Many SMBs simply do not have the staff or expertise to dedicate to SEO, but this doesn’t have to be an impediment. Outsourcing SEO to your service provider can be an economical and effective strategy with a demonstrable ROI.
To learn about Dydacomp SEO services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org